Thursday, August 26, 2010

How it all started...

Quite a few years ago now, I thought I would give making Gingerbread a try, for Christmas, to give as gifts. (I could blab on about how I wanted to make a special effort for those I loved etc, etc, but truth be told I being cheap!)
The Gingerbread was a success, as were my goodie baskets, they quickly became a "tradition" of sorts, which sees me every week before the 25th December, sweating it out in the kitchen, mixing, baking, decorating and then packaging the goods. Jman would roll his eyes at me as he swiped yet another biscuit, pudding, or truffle from the piles of unwrapped treats. "why the hell do you do this to yourself?" he would ask,at around midnight, waiting for me to, once again to come to bed. Every year, I would answer, "I enjoy it!" and  I did, still do.
The thing is that come Dec 2008, I had a 6 week old baby to contend with. I tried, I really did, I managed to mix and bake...that was as far as I got. I took a basket of un iced gingerbread men and assorted shapes wrapped in a tea towel to my Mothers that Xmas. 
Dec 2009, I only made one large batch, I mixed, baked and iced, but I was showing off for my mums group, hehehe, the left overs made it to Mums place.
People have always commented on the time and effort that goes into making these treats, like I said, I really enjoy it, otherwise there is no way I would bother!
This coming Christmas I wont be doing any of it, due to a family reunion happening in Darwin, so I wont be at home. I'm actually disappointed about this.



No comments:

Post a Comment