Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Bonvoyage to a good friend

A dear friend of mine is leaving, she has packed up her home, sold it and will sometime this week be embarking on a road trip, to start a new life in sunny old QLD. (Lucky, lucky, lucky...)

Now Donna is actually my Mum's best friend, I have known her since I was about 9 years old, I used to walk to school and hang out a bit with her eldest daughter.
Donna opened a cafe in 97, I started working there sometime during that year and to this day I have to say it was one of the best jobs I have ever had.
The atmosphere of a cafe in the morning, opening the front doors and smelling the fresh coffee beans grinding away, bacon and baguettes cooking away, the buzz and noise of a "busy" rush.
Feeling the heat on your face as you toasted another sandwich or doorstop, the smiles and "good mornings" of the regulars, or the feeling of accomplishment when someone complimented your "perfect" cup of coffee.
I can still recall the ambiance of the outdoor seating at night, lots of green, lit gently with small glowing tea lights, every where there was a surface, the eclectic pieces of glazed pottery "art" catching the light, the aroma of tasted garlic bread as an accompaniment to the Potato and Leek soup.
Dancing around the kitchen with a mop at closing, both of us singing our hearts out to Van morrison or tracy Chapman, the general comraderie of working there.
Oh believe me, Donna had her moments, but I always saw it as "Sirens Cafe" was her baby, therefore she wanted her baby, how SHE wanted it ;)
Sharney (Donna's Daughter) and I have always joked about swapping mums, Donna was like a surrogate mother to me for many years (as my mum was to her) My brave Mum, to Donna's shock and horror, once took both Sharney and myself to practice "driving" when we were 16! (Mum says she still has nightmares!)

So it was with a bit of a heavy heart that I made these biscuits, I may not see Donna as much these days I used to but, I will still miss her.
Mum asked me to make these for her, so she can not forget to keep in touch! (As if she wouldn't!)



Fare well Donna, I wish you all the love and joy in the world as you start your new adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment